After a canceled 2020 festival and a re-scheduled summer edition in 2021, the Festival de Cannes returned for a full-fledged spring 2022 soirée (May 17-28, in Cannes, France) just like old times! With it, SAGindie returned as a sponsor of The American Pavilion, where we programmed entertainment industry roundtables for the attending film students.
This year’s roster of industry pros who shared their expertise included Matt Campbell (Artistic Director, Denver Film); Neil Creque Williams (producer, Miss Juneteenth); Theo Dumont (co-founder, HollyShorts Film Festival); Moira Griffin & Marshall Tyler (partners, New Bumper & Paint Filmworks); Aaron Hillis (Director of Programming, Cinedigm); Jason Ishikawa (Executive, Cinetic Media); Julie La’Bassiere (Awards Specialist, Apple TV+); Jennifer Levine (Head of Production and Literary Management, Untitled Entertainment); Stephanie Pfingston (CEO, Lumos PR); Jeff Sharp (Executive Director, The Gotham); April Shih & Jen Goyne Blake (partners, Diversity Hire Ltd.); Harris Tulchin (attorney, Harris Tulchin & Associates); Rosie Wong (Director of Industry Relations, Sundance Institute); actor/producer Letitia Wright; Maria Zuckerman (president, Topic Studios); as well as Oscar-nominated actor Woody Harrelson in conversation with SAGindie Executive Director Darrien Michele Gipson. (See photos from our Roundtables below or on Facebook.)
But amongst all the career development, networking, and learning going on, there were also movie screenings. Lots of them! (Perhaps you heard some of the applause/boos from across the ocean?) See which of the 2022 Cannes movies wowed the jury with year’s award-winners below.
2022 Cannes Film Festival Award Winners
- Palme d’Or: Triangles Of Sadness
- Grand Prix: Close and Stars At Noon (TIE)
- Jury Prize: Le Otto Montagne (The Eight Mountains) and Eo (TIE)
- Best Director Prize: Park Chan-Wook, Heojil Kyolshim (Decision To Leave)
- Best Screenplay: Tarik Saleh, Walad Min Al Janna (Boy From Heaven)
- Best Actress: Zar Amir Ebrahimi, Holy Spider
- Best Actor: Song Kang Ho, Broker
- 75th Award: Tori And Lokita
- Honorary Palme d’Or: Forest Whitaker
- Honorary Palme d’Or: Tom Cruise
- Prix CST de l’Artiste – Technicien: Andreas Franck, Bent Holm, Jacob Ilgner, Jonas Rudels, Triangle Of Sadness
- Young Film Technicien Prize: Marion Burger, Mother And Son
- Palme d’Or – Short Film: Hai Bian Sheng Qi Yi Zuo Xuan Ya (The Water Murmurs)
- Short Film Special Distinction: Lori (Melancholy Of My Mother’s Lullabies)
Golden Camera Award (For Best First Feature)
Un Certain Regard
- Prize of Un Certain Regard: Les Pires (The Worst Ones)
- Un Certain Regard Prize for Best Performance: Vicky Krieps, Corsage and Adam Bessa, Harka (TIE)
- Un Certain Regard Prize for Best Director: Alexandru Belc, Metronom
- Un Certain Regard Prize for Best Screenplay: Maha Haj, Mediterranean Fever
- Un Certain Regard Jury Prize: Joyland
- Coup de Coeur Award: Rodeo
- 1st Prize: Il Barbiere Complottista (A Conspiracy Man)
- 2nd Prize: Di Er (Somewhere)
- 3rd Prize: Glorious Revolution and Les Humains Sont Cons Quand Ils S’Empilent (Humans Are Dumber When Crammed up Together) (TIE)
Congrats to all of the winners of Cannes 2022!
If you’re an independent filmmaker or know of an independent film-related topic we should write about, email firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.