Filmmakers took over the French Riviera once again for the 2018 Cannes Film Festival, where SAGindie returned as a sponsor of the festival’s American Pavilion. This year’s SAGindie Roundtables – where industry professionals mentor film students from all over the U.S. – included actors Corey Hawkins (Straight Outta Compton) and Jay Ellis (BlacKkKlansman), producer Liz Cardenas (Never Goin’ Back), Focus Features’ Paul Getto, and the Sundance Institute’s Anne Lai. See photos from the Roundtables below!
The film festival itself offered much variety in their film selections – they screened everything from Han Solo to Lars Von Trier and everything in between. See which films and performances were a hit with the awards juries with the award winners below.
2018 Cannes Film Festival Award Winners:
- Palme d’Or: Manbiki Kazoku (Shoplifters)
- Special Palme d’Or: Le Livre d’Image (Image Book)
- Grand Prix: BlacKkKlansman
- Jury Prize: Capharnaüm
- Best Director Prize: Pawel Pawlikowski, Zimna Wojna (Cold War)
- Best Screenplay: Alice Rohrwacher, Lazzaro Felice (Happy As Lazzaro) and Nader Saeivar, 3 Faces (TIE)
- Best Actress: Samal Yeslyamova, Ayka
- Best Actor: Marcello Fonte, Dogman
- Palm d’Or – Short Film: All These Creatures
- Short Film Special Jury Distinction: Yan Bian Shao Nian (On the Border)
Golden Camera Award (For Best First Feature)
- Caméra d’Or: Girl
Un Certain Regard
- Prize of Un Certain Regard: Gräns (Border)
- Un Certain Regard Prize for Best Actor: Lukas Dhont, Girl
- Un Certain Regard Prize for Best Director: Sergei Loznitsa, Donbass
- Un Certain Regard Prize for Best Screenplay: Meryem Benm’barek, Sofia
- Un Certain Regard Jury Prize: Chuva É Cantoria Na Aldeia Dos Mortos (The Dead and the Others)
- 1st Prize: El Verano del León Eléctrico (The Summer of the Electric Lion)
- 2nd Prize: Kalendar (Calendar) and Dong Wu Xiong Meng (The Storms in Our Blood) (TIE)
- 3rd Prize: Inanimate
Congratulations to all of the 2018 award-winners!
WHAT WERE YOUR 2018 CANNES FILM FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHTS?
If you’re an independent filmmaker or know of an independent film-related topic we should write about, email email@example.com for consideration.