Bonjour! Darrien and Eliza have overcome their jetlag and can once again wear flat heels now that the 2015 Festival de Cannes (the Frenchest film fest in all the land!) is over. You can see the award winners from Cannes 2015 below, or check out some photos from our American Pavilion Round Tables. This year’s Round Tables included awesome mentors like Chaz Ebert (Life Itself), producer Nina Yang Bongiovi (Fruitvale Station), entertainment attorney Craig Emanuel, John Cooper and Trevor Groth from the Sundance Film Festival, and more. A big shout out and thanks to all the pros who took time to share their career insight and expertise with film students from around the world.
Things of course wrapped up (as they often do with SAGindie) with a karaoke party, and you can check out the totally non-embarrassing
blackmail photos here.
6/5/15 UPDATE: Chaz Ebert has a recap of her time at Cannes, including this video, which shows her experience mentoring students at our American Pavilion Round Tables. Take a look!
2015 Cannes Film Festival Award Winners:
- Palme d’Or: Dheepan
- Grand Prix: Saul Fia (Son of Saul)
- Best Director: Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Nie Yinniang (The Assassin)
- Best Screenplay: Michel Franco, Chronic
- Best Actress (TIE): Emmanuelle Bercot, Mon Roi and Rooney Mara, Carol
- Best Actor: Vincent Lindon, La Loi Du Marché (The Measure of a Man)
- Jury Prize: The Lobster
- Palm d’Or – Short Film: Waves ’98
Golden Camera Award (For Best First Feature)
- Caméra d’Or: La Tierra y La Sombra
Un Certain Regard
- Prize of Un Certain Regard: Hrútar (Rams)
- Jury Prize – Un Certain Regard: Zvizdan (The High Sun)
- Directing Prize of Un Certain Regard: Kurosawa Kiyoshi, Kishibe No Tabi (Journey to the Shore)
- Un Certain Talent Prize: Corneliu Porumboiu, Comoara (The Treasure)
- Promising Future Prize (TIE): Ida Panahandeh, Nahid and Neeraj Ghaywan, Masaan
- 1st Prize: Share
- 2nd Prize: Locas Perdidas (Lost Queens)
- 3rd Prize (TIE): Victor XX and The Return of Erkin
Congrats to this year’s winners!
WHAT WERE YOUR CANNES 2015 HIGHLIGHTS?
If you’re an independent filmmaker or know of an independent film-related topic we should write about, email email@example.com for consideration.