[UPDATED with full video of panel]
he 2015 Los Angeles Outfest wrapped up last night, after ten days of showcasing and celebrating the best LGBT films and filmmakers of the year – in addition to cemetery screenings, pool parties, panels, and someone dressed in a Pineapple suit acting as the official Outfest mascot. The fest also announced this year’s award winners at last night’s Closing Night Gala at The Ace Hotel in downtown LA.
SAGindie and SAG-AFTRA were both there as supporters, with SAG-AFTRA’s Transgender Hollywood Panel (see full video below) being an instant fan favorite. Moderated by writer/producer Shadi Petosky, the panel featured actors Alexandra Billings (Transparent), D’Lo (Sense8), Scott Turner Schofield (The Bold and The Beautiful), Mya Taylor (Tangerine), as well as GLAAD’s Director of Transgender Media Nick Adams.
The panelists spoke about being a trans actor in Hollywood, and how the landscape has and hasn’t changed for the portrayal of transgender people in the media over the past few years. The panel was of course followed by a party at the DGA, which SAGindie was happy to co-host. For more events from SAG-AFTRA’s LGBT Committee and EEO & Diversity Department, check out sagaftra.org/EEODiversity.
See the award winners of Outfest 2015 below!
2015 Outfest Los Angeles Award Winners:
- Documentary Short: A Place in the Middle
- Dramatic Short: The Letter
- Documentary Feature: The Glamour and the Squalor
- Dramatic Feature: Fourth Man Out
- First US Dramatic Feature: Those People
Grand Jury Awards
- Documentary Feature – Special Recognition: Tchindas
- Documentary Feature: A Sinner in Mecca
- Actor in a US Dramatic Feature (TIE): Curtis Cook Jr. and Kerwin Johnson Jr., Naz and Maalik
- Actress in a US Dramatic Feature: Judy Greer, Addicted to Fresno
- Screenwriting in a US Dramatic Feature: Sebastian
- US Dramatic Feature Film: Nasty Baby
- International Dramatic Feature: Everlasting Love
- Documentary Short Film: Brockington
- Experimental Short Film: The Lamps
- Dramatic Short Film: Tremulo
- Special Jury Mention: We Can’t Live Without Cosmos
Congrats to this year’s winners!
WHAT WERE YOUR OUTFEST HIGHLIGHTS?
If you’re an independent filmmaker or know of an independent film-related topic we should write about, email firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.