SAGindie was back in France for the 2019 Cannes Film Festival as a sponsor of The American Pavilion. We once again offered film students insight from industry professionals through our SAGindie Roundtables, welcoming speakers including Sundance’s Anne Lai, Netflix’s Matt Brodlie, and filmmakers Tracey Bing, Amman Abbasi, and Yolonda Ross (see photos of more Roundtable guests over on our Facebook page). SAGindie also sponsored a chat with actor Miles Teller in conversation with film critic Eric Kohn (read a recap of their talk here) and threw our annual SAGindie Karaoke Party. ‘Twas a memorable night for all songbirds involved.
But it was also a memorable festival in terms of movies, and you can catch all of the 2019 award winners below.
2019 Cannes Film Festival Award Winners:
- Palme d’Or: Parasite
- Grand Prix: Atlantics
- Jury Prize: Les Misérables and Bacurau (TIE)
- Best Director Prize: Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, Young Ahmed
- Best Screenplay: Céline Sciamma, Portrait of a Lady on Fire
- Best Actress: Emily Beecham, Little Joe
- Best Actor: Antonio Banderas, Pain & Glory
- Special Jury Mention: It Must Be Heaven
- Palme d’Or – Short Film: The Distance Between Us and the Sky
- Short Film Special Jury Mention: Monster God
Golden Camera Award (For Best First Feature)
- Caméra d’Or: Our Mothers
Un Certain Regard
- Prize of Un Certain Regard: The Invisible Life of Eurídice Gusmão
- Un Certain Regard Prize for Best Performance: Chiara Mastroianni, On A Magical Night
- Un Certain Regard Prize for Best Director: Kantemir Balagov, Beanpole
- Un Certain Regard Jury Prize: Fire Will Come
- Un Certain Regard Special Jury Prize: Liberté
- Un Certain Regard Jury Mention: Joan of Arc
- Coup de Coeur Award: A Brother’s Love and The Climb (TIE)
Congrats to all of this year’s winners!
WHAT WERE YOUR CANNES 2019 HIGHLIGHTS?
If you’re an independent filmmaker or know of an independent film-related topic we should write about, email email@example.com for consideration.