Film Independent brought the LA Film Festival to the Autumn season this year, and SAGindie was there once again as a return sponsor. (In addition to film screenings and special events, they also handed out awards, which you can check out below!)
Besides the month it took place in, another new addition to this year’s festival was The New Wave, a group of actors honored by SAGindie, Film Independent, SAG-AFTRA, and Easterseals for bringing talent and diversity to the industry. The honorees – Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine Nine), Jay Ellis (Insecure), Dominique Fishback (Night Comes On), Jorge Lendeborg, Jr. (Bumblebee), Leonardo Nam (Westworld), and Millicent Simmonds (A Quiet Place) – were fêted at a brunch at The Wallis Annenberg Center for Performing Arts in Beverly Hills, and we couldn’t have asked for a more fun (and deserving) group of actors to hang out with.
The other great event SAGindie got to be a part of was an unscripted chat with actress Hilary Swank (Boys Don’t Cry, Million Dollar Baby). Moderated by Elvis Mitchell, Swank offered insight into her acting process, looked back on the making-of her iconic films, and shared inspiration and advice to the filmmakers and actors in attendance. It’s not every day you get advice from a two-time Oscar-winner, and SAGindie was honored to help bring this intimate convo to festival attendees.
If you were unable to make the festival but want to learn about some of the programs, check out Film Independent’s blog for event recaps, including the topics of virtual reality, directing, screenwriting, and producing. It’ll be like you were there!
2018 LA Film Festival Award Winners:
- U.S. Fiction Award: This Teacher
- U.S. Fiction Special Mention: In Reality
- World Fiction Award: Border
- World Special Jury Prize, Directing: The Day I Lost My Shadow, directed by Soudade Kaadan
- Documentary Award: Hillbilly
- Documentary Special Jury Award for Excellence in Social Justice Storytelling: False Confessions
- LA Muse Fiction Award: Staycation
- LA Muse Documentary Award: Fire on the Hill
- LA Muse Special Mention, Best Ensemble Cast: Solace
- Nightfall Award: The Dead Center
- Nightfall Special Jury Prize, Lead Actor: Ashleigh Morghan, Head Count
- Nightfall Special Jury Prize, Ensemble Cast: Spell
- Short Fiction Award: The Passage
- Short Documentary Award: One Leg In, One Leg Out
- Web Series Award: Psusy
- Spirit of Independence Award: Lauren Greenfield
- Seattle Story Award: I’m Sorry Happy Birthday
- TikTok Real Short Award: Ann Lupo
- Fiction Feature Award: Brian Banks
- Documentary Feature Award: Stuntman
- Short Film Award: Weekends
- Music Video Award: Clutch
- Episodic Story Award: Revenge Tour
- Episodic Pilot Award: 40 & Single
Congrats to all of this year’s winners!
WHAT WERE YOUR 2018 LA FILM FEST HIGHLIGHTS?
If you’re an independent filmmaker or know of an independent film-related topic we should write about, email email@example.com for consideration.